It might be a little surprising for everyone but Chinese pop music has been around for more than 60 years. In fact, Chinese pop music is popularly referred to as C-pop and is a combination of popular music from Mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. C-pop has three main styles of singing and they are Cantopop, Mandopop and Hokkien pop. Most singers specialize in one stream of music but our list of top 5 Chinese singers has a comfortable mix of each style.
1. Joey Yung is a Hong Kong based singer and dancer. She is probably one of the premier Cantonese singers in Hong Kong and the most popular as well. Although she has a very successful singing career, the diva is also well known for her acting career and has several film and TV roles to her credit. She is considered to be the richest and most successful female singer in Hong Kong.
2. Coco Lee is probably the most well known Chinese artiste inside as well as outside China. The singer/dancer grew up in San Francisco before she relocated to Hong Kong where her career really took off. The singer has recorded several local albums in a range of languages like Cantonese, English and Mandarin. Her most popular albums include Di-Da-Di and the all time hit Coco’s Party. One very surprising tweak to her musical skills is that she combines Taiwanese pop sounds with a very western range of R&B, hip-hop and jazz. She was also the first Chinese artist to break into mainstream music with her album Just No Other Way.
3. Jolin Tsai is a very popular Taiwanese singer who is considered to be the best female singer in Taiwan. She as released more than 12 albums in Taiwan and most of them have hit the top of the charts in the first week of release.
4. Sammi Cheng is based in Hong Kong and is a very successful singer. In the early 1990s, she was called the Queen of Cantopop selling more than 25 million copies of her album in the Asian region. She has produced more than 80 studio albums, 9 live concert albums and over 110 singles with more than 200 awards in her singing career.
5. Janice Vidal is the twin sister of singer Jill Vidal. She is an award winning singer based in Hong Kong who debuted her career in 2005. She has had several chart topping singles and also frequently acts in TV and film.
Although most of these artistes are popular in China, a few have managed to cross over to the European market as well. Of course, everyone has their personal favorites but most local Chinese singers are not well known abroad. Local Chinese charts regularly showcase the top artistes in the country and concerts often sold out.