Supermodels are a rare breed. The term usually refers to an internationally know model that works in commercial as well as haute couture and whose face can be used in any country. Over the years, a range of European models have been assigned the title ‘supermodel’ but in the last decade or so, modeling agencies have started diversifying their model recruitment’s. With more interest in African, Chinese and Asian faces, there is a better chance for beautiful and talented racial models to turn into worldwide phenomenons and supermodels. One geographical area and race that is in high demand is China with its beautiful Chinese models. Due to the economic power of China, fashion stables and magazines have now started actively recruiting beautiful Chinese models to represent them in China. A quick list of the top 10 Chinese Models to watch out for in this decade is as follows —
1. Si Miaobin more popularly known as Miao is very well known in China and she ahs appeared on the front page of Chinese Vogue, Grazia, Cosmo and many other ad campaigns.
2. Fei Fei Sun or Sun Feifei is another popular model that won the Elite Model Look Competition in China. Karl Lagerfield was the first to pick her out for his China Paris-Shanghai show and there was no looking back after that. One of her best features is that she looks uniquely beautiful and is consistently featured on Chinese Vogue.
3. Du Juan is a Chinese actress, ballerina and fashion model and is actively considered as the first Chinese supermodel to become famous worldwide. The model made her debut in 2006 and has since posed for top fashion houses like Roberto Cavalli and Chanel.
4. Liu Wen is a very popular Chinese model that has appeared on the cover page of the Chinese Cosmo and the Chinese edition of Vogue. She is also the very first Chinese model to appear in a Victoria’s Secret fashion show.
5. Ming Xi is a 20-year-old model that was signed on by Givenchy Director Ricardo Tisci. For the first few years, she walked exclusively for Givenchy and is now the first Chinese representative for the Givenchy brand in the country. Now she also walks for Jil Sander and Christian Dior.
6. Shu Pei Qin was first spotted by Liquid Models, a model recruitment agency in Shanghai. She quickly went on to be the most popular model for the agency and posed for several local magazines and fashion photographers. She got her break when she was signed on New York’s Next Models. In 2009, she walked for more than 22 shows and was names as Style.com’s TOP TEN NEW FACES OF 2010. She consistently appears for Maybelline and Gap campaigns.
7. Kiki Kang is a virtual Asian copy of Cindy Crawford with the same golden skin and lovely hair and mole but with Asian eyes. The 20-year-old model was handpicked by Karl Lagerfield for his 2007 show and is regularly featured on Chinese fashion magazines.
8. Bonnie Chen is stunningly beautiful as she combines Western features with a beautiful Asian influenced skin and body tone. She won the Elite Model contest when she was just in school and is now signed on with New York’s Next Models.
9. Amber Xu is a carbon copy of Chinese actress Maggie Cheung but has a her style and body language. She has walked for Christian Dior but still has to hit international markets.
10. Mo Wandan has appeared in Galliano, Armani and many other shows and as quickly become very popular with designers.